Perhaps no vertical market has changed more with the wider adoption of cellular technology than a college campus.
Being natural early adopters of technology, almost every student has a cell phone, with the average 18-34 year old college student bringing nearly 7 tech devices. Streaming content has increased web consumption exponentially, bolstered by the shift away from traditional TV watching to services such as Hulu and Netflix.
Related: Bandwidth Demand In Student Housing
- Increased use of mobile devices (large smartphones, connected tablets) for Educational purposes such as homework submission, research, etc.
- Public Safety notification to student body of emergency situations and first responder coordination.
- Shift to use of wireless devices as primary, if not only, mode of voice and data communication.
- Shift away from colleges/universities providing expensive, previously subsidized, wireline phone PBXs.
- Shift to use of the streaming data for entertainment purposes (music/video content).
- Overall demand and expectation of ubiquitous coverage both for student/faculty, but for family members contacting students as well.
GIANT Solutions has a breadth of experience in education applications. We’ve been a trusted partner in deploying a myriad of wireless solutions in campuses across the country. Talk to us about a network to handle all of your communications needs- from cellular DAS to Wi-Fi to public safety.
Case Study: Montclair State University